Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Whirlpool 786324 Igniter



Worked like a charm
The ignitor in my old Caloric oven/broiler stopped working, still red but not enough to light oven anymore. Looked around and couldn't find part number or anything since Caloric doesn't exist anymore. So I got this one since it was the same longer size as the old one. All of the newer styles are short. The end of this one kind of fits into the back of the oven so I wanted the same length. This one fit just right and after a little time hooking everything up I'm back in business. My oven now lights in 20 seconds. And it was cheaper here than other places where I found the longer style.

Fixed my Caloric Prestige series range.
The oven in my 23 year old Caloric Prestige series range became slow to warm up or sometimes it would warm up then quit working. Eventually it stopped working entirely. I could see the ignitor was glowing but the gas valve wouldn't open, that puzzled me. The ignitor has to draw 3.2A-3.6A for the gas valve to open. I checked and the ignitor in my oven was drawing 2.9A. The gas valve is a fussy thing! This ignitor is an exact replacement which I like. Service was fast too, arrived a day before it was due. I like that too! I bought two of the ignitors. The broiler uses the same part and now I'll be ready when it fails too.

Saved my oven from having to be replaced!
I have the older Caloric that is an all in one with upper oven, lower larger oven and gas cook-top 4 burner range. I have had it for over 20 years and it cooks like a dream. My lower oven would not heat up and I could see the igniter was not getting hot enough. There was also the faint smell of gas. I made the assumption it was the igniter and ordered this one. I watched two videos online and read the instructions for how to put the new one in on several appliance sites. My husband also reviewed the installation instructions. We turned off the gas connection, turned off the electricity, removed the oven door and inside racks and lower panel.
Wearing rubber gloves, he pulled the old igniter out, connected the new one using the old nuts for the electrical wires, and put everything back together. Took 30 minutes and the oven works like a charm! Saved us $2000. from buying a new one. Now I can cook a turkey this Fall!

Click to Editorial Reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment