Sunday, October 27, 2013

Excalibur 3500B Excalibur 3500B 5 Tray Deluxe Dehydrator Black, 1, Black



I finally bought one and am I glad!
This Excalibur dehydrator has exceeded my expectations. It makes great organic, "less sweet" fruit rollups and dehydrates cooked broccoli to a crunchy treat. It does make more noise than a fan so make sure to put it away from your bedroom if you will be running it overnight. Make sure to buy the Paraflexx sheets sold separately if you intend to make rollups. The recipe book is very helpful and quite extensive. I'm delighted with it and wish I had purchased this dehydrator sooner.

Good dehydrator - some issues
I wanted to write a review after immediately trying it and an then do an update (in the near future). I have had the 5 tray model (2500) for three days. I was hesitant about getting the 5 tray since everyone says it is not large enough and to get the 9 tray. Since I live alone, I opted for the 5 tray. It's a nice looking machine with minimal parts. The trays are a little flimsy but sufficient. I had heard a lot of people complain about the noise but I don't think it is loud at all. Maybe the 9 tray has a larger fan making it loud but the 5 tray is like a box fan on medium speed.

The first thing I tried was Kale chips. Since kale is a leafy produce it is a bit high so you have to take out three trays to fit which only leaves you two trays of kale (Which isn't very much). I guess you could squash another tray in there but didn't want to try that for my first attempt. Already I am wishing on the 9 tray.
Kale came out pretty good. You really need to try and get the leaves...

Wonderful product and I love it!!!
This is a great dehydrator that I recommend for all people who would like to save food in an economical way. The food is very, very tasty and also very convenient to use. Be careful of dehydrating onions though. I did and smelled up my house for weeks! The fan is loud and annoying to me but can't be helped. My kitchen is in the open right by the living room so we moved the dehydrator to a back bedroom and set it on a foldable table. That worked great until I did the onions and that stunk up the entire guest bedroom and I tried opening windows, washing bedding, putting out baking soda, and even coffee to try to deodorize the area. I also tried opening up windows and blowing fans--still have the smell. So, be careful of what you dehydrate.

Click to Editorial Reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment