Thursday, October 24, 2013

DMT W6FP 6-Inch Diamond Whetstone Sharpener - Fine With Plastic Box



Fast and Uniform
I sharpen my kitchen cutleries by hand using this DMT diamond stone and a Japanese combination water stone: Woodstock D1130 1000 Grit and 6000 Grit Japanese Waterstone. Despite this is called a "fine" grit stone, it is plenty aggressive for a typical kitchen knife. My friend has a chef's knife which had a broken tip (~1/4") and a chipped edge, and I was able to restore the tip and the edge by using this "fine" stone. The DMT diamond stones need a small amount of water during sharpening. It is to help prevent metal fines from sticking to the sharpening surface. In my opinion, water lubricant stones are superior to oil assisted stones for two reasons. First, it is easy to apply water and to clean up afterward. Second, water is less slippy than oil and therefore it is safer to sharpen a knife with wet hands than oiled hands. DMT makes interrupted surface and continuous surface diamond stones. This belongs to...

Factory Sharp
I have owned an array of knife sharpeners, cheap and expensive. Some results were good, some poor and others just ok. I had used oil stones previously with mixed results and electric well rated models that sometimes seemed more damaging then sharpening....to be honest I was gun shy and reluctant to spend more money on sharpening products. The only solution seemed to be to have them done professionaly.

Before I ordered this stone I went to You Tube (now remember I am a retired male who just had his 70th birthday) You Tube is not somewhere I frequent often. However after watching a few videos demonstrating this stone and sharpening technique, I said to myself I can do that. I ordered this stone and when it arrived I practiced on some old pocket knives with fantastic results. I then moved on to my kitchen cutlery with the same satisfaction.

However when it came to my very expensive Shun Japenese knives I was reluctant to proceed. My hands would actually...

Fabulous Sharpener
After reading the many positive reviews on this sharpener, I finally purchased the Fine and Extra Fine units from Amazon. As usual, Amazon's service was exceptional. These sharpeners come with great directions. The devices are easy to use - just a few sprinkles of water and all is well. Our kitchen knives are like new. I have a large Henkels Chef's Knife I use for chopping onions. After sharpening it on the Fine and Extra Fine devices, that Chef's Knife is fabulous. I am very pleased with the ease of use of these DMT sharpeners and recommend them to those who want a simple but effective way to keep their blades sharp. UPDATE - OCTOBER 2011 -- This sharpener continues to amaze me. I do 5 passes per side per knife blade and the sharpness is great. I have used this sharpener many times since I got it and it always yields a very sharp edge. I still highly recommend this product.

Click to Editorial Reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment