Saturday, October 26, 2013

Bodum 11452-01US 34-Ounce Electric Water Kettle, Black



after a little use a burnt plastic smell and taste will appear
My wife purchased two of these units, one for work and one for home. Both of the units have started displaying the same issue, which is a burnt plastic smell and taste. There is no visible signs of it burning the plastic but you can smell it and taste it. Others have made similar comments regarding this. They are nice looking and functional for a while but with steady usage it will start showing these symptoms.

I loved it... when it worked
I bought the smaller 17-ounce version of this kettle to use at work eight months ago and it's been dependable and completely wonderful, faithfully boiling water for me four or five times a day five days a week. My great experience led me to buy the 34-ounce version for home use without question.

Unfortunately, I haven't had such wonderful luck with the 34-ounce version. The first one didn't seem quite right out of the box and was possibly damaged or defective: the water boiled far too long before shutting off and the handle was hot to the touch. When it stopped working after just a few uses, I sent it back for an exchange.

The second one worked great: the kettle shut off shortly after boiling the water, the handle wasn't warm, and it generally worked just like my little office kettle. Suddenly, after just three weeks, the second one just stopped working. Nothing wrong with the outlet. The kettle hadn't been dropped. No reason at all for it to stop working. It...

doesn't last long
The kettle heated water perfectly until it quit working. I would have preferred that it have a sound when it shut off and it would be best if you could manually shut it off as well. There was no taste added to the water and it heats faster than the stove kettle or the microwave does.

After about 9 months of use, the kettle started blowing my GFI switch so I stopped using it. A week later, my husband plugged it in and it worked fine, so we started using it again. It worked great for another month and then it stopped heating the water. It goes on for about a minute and heats the water somewhat and then it just shuts off altogether. I'll need to purchase a new kettle and it won't be another Bodum. I take good care of my appliances and I expect that this one would have lasted longer than this.

Click to Editorial Reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment