Tuesday, October 22, 2013

KRUPS XP5240 Pump Espresso Machine with KRUPS Precise Tamp Technology and Stainless Steel Housing, Silver



Steamer is dodgy, but espresso is great --- IF you make double shots.
I've had this machine for about two months, now. It makes great espresso, with a nice thick crema. People complaining about crema are often not using the proper beans, or aren't grinding them immediately before making the espresso. It makes a huge difference.

The auto-tamp filter basket is neat, although I've found that it really only works for double shots. To make a single shot of espresso properly, you need to reduce the filter area, so that less water is able to flow with the same amount of pressure. Since the same filter basket is used for single and double shots, single shots do not come out nicely. Since I always make double shots, I'm OK with this, but people that frequently make single shots should be aware of this defect.

Overall, I like the construction and appearance of the machine. It feels solid enough, the drip tray is easy to clean, water container is easy to remove and fill.

------

NOW, about the steamer.

The...

DO NOT BUY THIS MACHINE!
I purchased the XP5240 in Nov. '09. I went against my better judgment in doing so as there were no reviews yet as it was a new model and I had had a Krups Espresso Pronto since 1994 that was showing signs of giving up. So, what could go wrong? Well, let me tell you. Six weeks after I recieved the XP5240 the frothing attachment threads stripped out and another part of the machine started to leak. I took it to the local repair just before Christmas and was told in mid January that it had to be replaced. It then took two more weeks to recieve one from Krups. That machine arrived with the frothing attachment glued on at the threads and one of the 3 clips broken off and a brown colored liquid that came out while priming the machine. Krups asked me to ship it directly to them. They said it was shipped to me from another service center and not them directly. After 3 weeks I called to find out what was wrong with the 2nd machine. I was told that it was being tested. I explained to...

This Ones a Keeper
Update August 15, 2013 Good product but what is causing the huge price increase? We have to replace ours about every 12 months due to various problems with leakage this time around the frother. Last year at this time I paid $152 for this machine. Price increase is unjustified.

We tried a Breville before this Krups machine. We were looking to replace a 20 year old Krups steam driven machine which we also loved. This machine is worth the extra $100 we paid over what we would have spent for the Breville. We purchased from a local store. We paid more but liked the convenience of returning the unit if we did not like it. This Krups machine has some really nice features. It has this "auto tamping" feature that is really nice. The espresso holder is only one unit and you add more or less espresso depending on whether you want a single shot or a double. It has a ratchet system that tamps the grind down and an indicator on the unit determines whether you are compressing...

Click to Editorial Reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment